Monday, February 1, 2010

Countdowns

I'm a big countdown person. I like counting down to lunch, or the end of the work day. I like counting down to big events, like my birthday or Christmas. My upcoming wedding has given me a pretty major countdown to look forward to (82 days by the way).

I have even been counting down to the day I'll be laid off from my job for the past couple of years. Unlike most companies who don't usually give a head's up to their employees prior to the lay off, Company X told the employees of my department that in 2010 our department would cease to exist. Knowing that I would be one of the employees remaining employed until the end I thought it would be fun to anxiously look forward to the day when I would be let go. After almost 6 years of working here its safe to say that I've gotten bored with the routine. But a job is a job so I've managed to hang in there.

Today they decided to do a round of lay offs. Seven people were let go, starting at around 9am and ending just an hour ago. It was almost a game to guess which person would be the next to pack up a box. After a few people had marched out of here with the saddest looks on their faces I started to realize how crappy it must be to know that you don't have a job anymore. Most of the people had families and kids to worry about.

I just want to say how grateful I am to still have a job. No more countdown until I'm laid off. That's just depressing. Instead I'll start a countdown until the season premiere of LOST ... 28 hours and 18 minutes to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment